Why straighten your teeth with braces?
Considering Straightening Your Teeth With Braces?
We often see children and adults who are wearing braces in Central Florida. Have you ever wondered what braces actually do, and why they are so important? Many of us would think that braces are only for correcting the alignment of your teeth and improving your smile. But the fact is, that braces do much more than just improving your facial aesthetics. You can receive a consultation for Maitland braces, Apopka braces or braces in Winter Springs at one of Dr Weeks offices. Before we discuss the importance of braces, let’s have a look at what teeth braces are, and how they function.
What are braces and why do I need them
Teeth braces, also known as brackets are small appliances that are attached to the teeth, and they bring about movement of your teeth with the help of a wire that passes through specially designed slots within them.
What are Different Types of Braces in our Maitland, Apopka and Winter Springs Orthodontic offices?
Various types of braces are available depending upon the requirement of each case, as well as the aesthetic demands of the patients.
- Conventional Metallic Braces – these braces were among the first fixed appliances that were used for straightening of teeth. Metallic are made from high quality dental alloys which possess excellent strength and resistance to corrosion. However, due to their unaesthetic metallic appearance, their use is gradually declining.
- Ceramic Braces – keeping in view the increasing aesthetic demands of orthodontic patients, ceramic braces were introduced. These braces are prepared from a tooth colored ceramic; therefore, they are not visible on the teeth when they are worn.
- Lingual Braces – some patients are so conscious about their looks that they would not like to get any type of attachment on the front of their teeth. For these patients, lingual braces are available in Maitland, Apopka and Winter Springs. These braces attach to tongue side of the teeth, and are therefore invisible.
How Braces Work?
The basic function of teeth braces is to bring about tooth movement. This is accomplished by passing a metallic wire through the braces that are attached to each tooth. The type of wire used as well as its width determines the force that is generated onto the teeth. This force causes the teeth to move and align themselves in the required direction.
The Importance of Braces from your local Orthodontic offices with Dr Weeks
Coming back to the topic, let’s have a look at the importance of braces. Although the only visible outcome of braces is the alignment of the teeth and improvement in your smile, they perform many more functions. Some of them are discussed below:
- Improvement of Facial Aesthetics – crooked and misaligned teeth can change your facial aesthetics. Braces serve as excellent appliances to straighten your teeth and align them into position. The ultimate outcome is a drastic improvement in your smile and beauty.
- Improvement of Overall Physical Health – we are only able to gain from the food that we eat, if we are able to break it into small pieces with the help of our teeth. If the teeth are not aligned properly, the food will not be chewed efficiently and it will not be digested optimally. As a result, you will not be able to enjoy an excellent physical health and quality of life. Braces help with the re-alignment of your teeth, thereby improving your chewing efficiency and ultimately, your overall health.
- Speech Improvement – if you have misaligned and crooked teeth, you would have noticed that you have difficulty in clear pronunciation of words. Teeth braces can be used to bring about optimal alignment and angulation of your teeth, so that each word can be pronounced clearly. Thanks to braces, you will get rid of your crooked teeth and restore your ability to speak clearly and confidently.
- Prevention from Dental Problems – do you know what happens with your teeth and gums, if your teeth are not aligned properly? When teeth are not in optimal alignment, plaque and tartar tends to develop very quickly on the crowded teeth as a result of inefficient. This ultimately results in a multitude of problems, which include inflammation of the gums, periodontal problems and gum recession. Another important benefit of getting your teeth straightened with braces is that you will able to clean your teeth properly and save your hard earned money from expensive dental treatment.
- Get Rid of Bad Breath – one of the most common reasons for having bad breath is the ability to keep your oral cavity clean. Oral hygiene maintenance becomes quite difficult when there is crowding of the teeth, a direct consequence of which is bad breath. If you suspect that you have an issue with bad breath, check with your dentist or Orthodontist to determine is braces can help you.
- Enhancement in Self-confidence – Does your smile affect your self confidence? Crooked and misaligned teeth can ruin your smile. Getting your smile fixed with the help of braces can improve your smile and everyone loves a beautiful smile.
- Long-term Saving – The cost of braces can be a great investment. Once you get your teeth straightened with braces, you will no longer have to worry about dental problems that arise due to teeth crowding and misalignment. As a result, you will be saving a lot of your hard earned money that would otherwise had been spent in taking care of your dental problems.
Just like the other important organs of your body such as the eyes and ears, your teeth are also an asset which must be preserved at all costs. Braces are not only helpful in giving you a beautiful smile, but they also significantly improve your ability to eat, speak and live an active and healthy life. To see if braces might be an option for you, check with our nearest office for a consultation. Dr. Travis Weeks offers Maitland braces, Apopka braces and braces in Winter Springs with 3 convenient offices.